5.09.2012

RIP MCA


Yet another great artist, and someone who's music influenced me as a teenager and beyond is MCA of the Beastie Boys who tragically passed away last week at the age of 47. I had intentions of posting about it sooner, but as the week rolled on more artists died, and frankly it's been a sad year for artists passing in every genre. I do these sketches to help me think about these individuals, and what their lives and their art meant to me. I aim for an interpretive likeness and many are very quick, 15 minutes or so. I wanted to put color on this piece because I have always enjoyed each Beastie's distinct nature. 
To lose this emcee and pivotal member of the Beastie Boys is a real blow to the heart, I remember "Whatchu Want" being played at my middle school dances, that's how important this performer was in my memory. I also remember my brother seeing the Beastie Boys and A Tribe Called Quest at McNichols arena, still jealous to this day. The Beastie Boys own the title of first hip-hop group to own a billboard spot with the 1986 album "License to Ill" and were just inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. For now and forever, a sure shot, MCA you will be missed and forever on the mic. Thanks for sharing in these posts, and more client work soon, it is still being worked on I promise you. Stay tuned for tomorrows post. 

No comments:

Post a Comment